Wednesday 23 March 2011

Fortress (1992) Dir: Stuart Gordon

Let me confess something right off the bat: I'm a massive Stuart Gordon fanboy and, though I haven't seen everything he's made quite yet, I've seen most and am yet to be disappointed.
OK, that's out of the way, so let's get down to some serious reviewing here: Fortress is fucking brilliant.
I could end it there, sign off with that single, definitive statement and feel reasonably content, but I feel the need to justify myself somewhat as, having read other reviews of this movie, it seems I am in the minority.
So, instead of writing a usual review, I'm just going to list the reasons Fortress is fucking brilliant.
Because it is.
Fortress is fucking brilliant.
Simple.
And here's why:

1 - It feels just like Total Recall.
2 - Christof Camembert is at his mumbling best
3 - There's gore
4 - There's women in prison
5 - There are plenty of dodgy, 80's-tastic special effects, even though this was 3 years into the next decade
6 - It's directed by Stuart 'Re-Animator,' 'From beyond,' 'Stuck,' 'Dagon' Gordon.
7 - There is a torture device called an Intestinator.
8 - Robocop's Clarence Boddicker is the main villain.
9 - The cybernetic sentries are utterly useless.
10 - It's directed by Stuart Gordon. Again, yes, but worth repeating.
11 - Oh yeah. Fortress is fucking brilliant.

5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment